Please note, the NS Department of Education and Early Child Development will require Grade 8 students to complete a reading and mathematics assessment next week:
The provincial assessment in grade 8 has been revised to include only Reading and Mathematics for the 2014–2015 administration. The 2014-2015 Nova Scotia Assessment: Reading and Mathematics in Grade 8 will be administered over 4-days between May 25 and June 5, 2015 with 45 minutes for reading and 90 minutes for mathematics.
This assessment includes the following:
- reading tasks that reflect the end of grade 8 curriculum outcome expectations
- reading passages in the narrative, information, poetry/song, and visual text genres
- reading comprehension questions in selected response format
- reading comprehension questions that are designed to provide a broad range of challenge, thereby providing more information about individual student performance
- mathematics questions that reflect the end of grade 8 curriculum outcome expectations
- selected response (multiple choice) questions in all mathematics domains
- tasks designed to assess students’ ability to solve problems
- tasks requiring different levels of cognitive demands to solve, thereby providing more information about student performance
For more information visit DoEECD’s webpage for more information.